It Was A Photo Finish As Mk2 Driver Wesley Patterson And Johnny Baird Won The Carlow Stages Rally 2015.
Welsh Driver Steve Wood Driving A Subaru WRC Entered The Final Stage With A 4.9 Second Lead Over Patterson But The Mk2 Driver Put In An Inspired Driver To Win The Rally By A Mere 0.3 of A Second. Also Wesley Was First Mk2 Escort Home Which Meant That He Holds On To The Coveted Gusclad Mk2 Challenge Trophy For Another Year. Damage Was Evident On The Front of Patterson’s Car As He Approached Final Control, An Altercation With A Bale The Cause. “I’m delighted to win the Mark 2 Challenge again, it really was a great race today. To win the rally outright is a massive bonus to be honest, that was never the target. Johnny did a great job keeping me calm all day, we got our tyre choice right and it all clicked.” Steve Wood Set Impressive Times All Day But A Crack In His Manifold Saw His Lead Fade Away Which Gave Opportunity For Patterson And Baird To Pounce. Paddy McVeigh Looked Like The Pace Setter At The Front But An Off On Stage 6 Put An End To His Rally. Declan Gallagher Finished A Fine 3rd On The Day. Declan Took Part In A Mk2 On The Day Instead of His Toyota Starlet. This Proves That No Car Seems To Pose A Challenge To the Donegal Man. Circuit of Ireland Winner Craig Breen Retired Early With Throttle Cable Problems. Darrian Drivers Mark Straker And Michael Coady Finsihed In Fourth Position. David Condell In A Mk2 Finished 5th. He Was The Leading Escort In The Morning But Gradually Fell Back As The Day Went On. Dungannon Man Frank Kelly’s Rally Ended In The Afternoon When His Halfshalf Cried No More.
Evo Driver Neil And Gerard Tohill finished In Fifeteenth Position And Claimed The Group N Win.
In The Juniors It Was James Bradley And Maria Kehoe Who Finished On Top With Over A Minute To Spare.
1. Wesley Patterson/Johnny Baird (Escort) 60m 23.6s
2. Steve Wood/Keith Moriarty (Impreza WRC) 60m 23.7s
3. Declan Gallagher/Ryan Moore (Escort) 60m 32s
4. Mark Straker/Michael Coady (Darrian T90 GTR) 60m 43s
5. David Condell/Eugene McGrath (Escort) 60m 53s
6. Adrian Hetherington/Gary Nolan (Escort) 61m 19s
7. Liam Howlett/Enda Kennedy (Escort) 62m 18s
8. Enda O’Brien/John Butler (Escort) 62m 22s
9. Michael O’Brien/James O’Brien (Focus WRC) 62m 26s
10. Sam Smyth/Alan Smyth (Escort) 63m 11s
Juniors: 1. James Bradley/Maria Kehoe (Civic) 43m 47s
2. Michael Ryan/Kieran Carroll (Civic) 45m 31s
3. Philip McDonald/Shane Corcoran (Civic) 45m 44s
Would you like to share your thoughts?